Thursday, September 20, 2012

Been a while! Today leaving Finland... for good!

Wow. What a bad blog writer have I been... last time 2 months ago! I guess that means moving to another country takes a lot of time! :D We were so busy the last few weeks before moving - getting rid of our stuff, moving for a while to stay with my parents, seeing people the last time - that I had no energy to think of writing. 

So we moved in the beginning of August. First day was hell. We arrived at our apartment - EMPTY apartment - at 6.30 p.m. And needed a place to sleep. So mattress shopping was the first thing to do! We wanted to just get a cheap futon, but it seemed to be a mission impossible! So by like 9.30 pm we were so dead (so dead that I bought two bottles of conditioner instead of a shampoo and a conditioner) that we just went to get a $90 air mattress. ...which our future guests are now welcome to sleep on ;)

The next few days were consumed by trying to get all the essentials; towels, food, kitchen stuff, you name it. It really sucks that you need A LOT of things just to live through normal life! And in the U.S., a car. So car shopping was fun. Trying to get a loan, it was unfathomable for the people that my husband had just "disappeared" from the face of the earth (U.S.) for 5 years. No information about him anywhere, so it was a bit tricky to get a loan. And we didn't have a local phone number yet, so filling the applications was practically impossible :D "International"....?? what's that??

So we did end up getting a car, and financed by a dealership, so we didn't have to deal with the banks who did not know what the word "international" meant.  Phones, bed, car, and some other stuff. We were settling down! Then came the roadtrip. The mother of all road trips if I may say. Driving without stopping from Denver CO to Reno NV. 1600 miles. 20 hours. (Google maps says 16, but when you include pee breaks and lunches and dog walking breaks it came to be 20....) 20 hours of FLAT GROUND. Nothingness.  Which was pretty awesome to see, but sometimes quite tiring. Our little Volkswagen was quite comfortable to drive though for such a long distance.  We stayed in Reno for a week and a half, and when leaving from there we had actually stayed there longer than in Denver! So then Reno felt like home! We were confused....

While in Reno I got the e-mail from the embassy to be in Finland on September 10th for my interview! That was SO MUCH faster than I ever imagined! So I arranged for my doctor's check up for 1 week before (need to take some blood tests so had to reserve a week for that), so then I had to fly back to Finland withing the next two weeks! 

Now I've been in Finland taking care of the visa stuff for 2,5 weeks. It took them 1,5 weeks to issue  my visa, and I got it the day before my flight was scheduled to leave :) I miss my husband so much and I'm happy to head back home and start settling down! I'm a little jealous that he has gotten such a good head start for getting familiar with stuff, and I'll be the newbie. 

I guess next update will be about my trip back home and our job hunt :) ....and the little things that will start to annoy me when I again miss Finland.... ;)

Getting on the plane in 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment