Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Visa stuff. ugh.

So the letter telling of the approval of my I-130 petition said that I should allow 30 days to pass before contacting the National Visa Center about my case. So I did, nothing happened during that 30 days. Then I e-mailed them, and the same day I already got the instructions needed. I needed to tell them the address they should send my mail to regarding this case, and got a request to pay for the handling of the affidavit of support form, .....needs to be paid from a US account. Real easy when you still live in Finland......
So now we're chasing down some relatives whose account information we could use.... And the one time something is urgent, it's impossible to get a hold of anyone! It stinks, because before this is paid, the case is not moving anywhere.

It's nice that I have had to become an expert on this, since now I can help others. The family who are also moving around the same time is going through this same stuff... So I felt good that I was able to relate to the wife my experiences and what I have found out, and what is going to go down next.
Also I got some help back, because I had been wondering if there really is no other way for me to stay in the country a bit longer than the 90 days that the visa waiver program allows - no use in asking the American embassy here in Helsinki, they are less than helpful.... So our friend had contacted a lawyer who deals with this stuff, and I got my confirmation that I am doing this the right way; at least I won't worry that I could have done something differently.

There is so much to remember to do when moving out of a country... cancel apartment, cancel electric, cancel home insurance, dog insurance, cancel TV, this and that! 

But in the middle of all this I have a little break to look forward to tomorrow, a Garden Party concert including Charlotte Gainsbourg and Regina Spektor. Yay!!


No comments:

Post a Comment